The study found xylazine in 37.3% of fentanyl. Other key findings:
- Xylazine is paired with fentanyl in nearly every case.
- Xylazine is almost non-existent in the supply of cocaine, methamphetamine, benzodiazepines, psychedelics and other drugs, except when fentanyl is also present.
- Xylazine is found across Ohio without significant regional variations.
- Xylazine frequency was consistent throughout the nine months studied, indicating the drug was well-established in Ohio’s fentanyl supply before 2023 and is not currently increasing or decreasing in frequency.
Caring for Xylazine Wounds
The NEXT Distro wound care guide offers this guidance.
- Xylazine wounds should be kept clean with soap and water. Using alcohol and peroxide is NOT suggested for these wounds.
- Moisturized with antibacterial ointment like A&D or even a thin layer of vaseline.
- Covered with clean bandages.
- Manuka honey (Medihoney) has been found to be very useful and effective for its wound healing and antibacterial properties.